Photo by Judith Rae – Cidnee, FL. Monique Lhuillier Bridal
I’m all about taking great care of myself and I’ve seen first-hand for over a decade how this translates on camera. I’m overjoyed when I see you shine and I have a camera in hand!
Committed to showing up for myself each day. For me, this early morning practice and daily commitment began over ten years ago and continues to evolve in the most supportive ways. Below are some of the ways I support myself. Sharing in hopes that you will find an extra level of care and love for yourself as you prep for your shoot day (and living your best life).
- Meditation (I started with just 5 mins of focusing in on my breath and quieting down my mind first thing in the AM. 5 min to 30-min AM Meditation: Find a quiet spot, set your timer, sit in a comfortable position, close your eyes, breathe in and out of your nose and chant in your head a simple mantra like: “Sat Nam”. In the ancient Sikh language, Sat means truth. Nam means name. Together, Sat Nam translates into something deeper: “I am truth,” or “Truth is my essence”).
- Movement (move in a way that brings you joy – 10 mins – 1 hour a day. I love hot yoga, walking, biking, running, dancing, swimming… movement is a daily practice that will help you shine bright – and I don’t just mean the sweat kinda shine).
- Affirmations (looking myself in the eyes and saying affirmations in the mirror out loud has – no joke – transformed my life! Here are a few examples: I belong, I matter, my voice matters. I am fortunate, fabulous, youthful, creative and timeless at every age!!!).
- Healthy Eating + Drinking (The more I do this the better I get at it. I’ve come a long way from morning chocolate chip cookies and a coffee to now incorporating a rainbow variety of fruits and veggies – truly has me feeling golden). Here is a link to my favorite smoothie , here is a link to a fav green juice PLUS I’m including a special juice recipe I like to call “Liquid Sunshine” towards the end of this post.
- Rest (8 hours is what I have been doing my best to accomplish and when I’m able to I take a 20 minute nap meditation during the day. Feels so good to feel good!).
- Journaling (what a great way to connect to what’s happening and how you’re feeling plus an opportunity to look at all the things that are working in your life).
- PLAY!!! (Laugh out loud and making time for play especially as we #adult in this world is so incredibly important to our vitality. Light me up, I love to play).
- Gratitude (Each day I tap into all the reasons I have to be thankful throughout the day. I’ve experienced downward spirals and have seen first-hand that the fastest way UP is by finding reasons to say thank you. Thank you for the sun that shines – I feel loved under it’s warm embrace, the air I breathe that helps me show up for my best life, the ability to be here now living this one gift of life…).
- Present moment living (I know you’re here but are you really here? Are you in your thoughts or in your body? Throughout the day I check in with myself to make sure I’m in the present moment. A great way to start noticing this is by also being aware of my emotions – how am I feeling, am I lost in thought, am I reliving a old story in my head? I am here, I am present, I am thankful to be here now).
- Breathe (So good to stay connected and in tune with breath. Here is a post I recently shared about a breathing technique called Breath of Fire.
Making time for self-care is a lifestyle and can be done throughout the day in smaller time increments. Making time for some -or- ALL of the things above requires planning ahead, adjusting daily habits and a real commitment to YOU. When we know better we do better and showing up with kindness towards ourselves is a great way to start.
When I watched Oprah’s 2020 Vision Tour Visionaries I discovered that my girl JLO says affirmations each day too!!! Below are a few she shared that I totally resonate with and think you will too.
- I am open and receptive to all of the goodness and abundance the Universe has to offer.
- I am youthful and timeless at every age.
- I am enough.
Planted these seeds of goodness and watching them grow under the warmth of the sun and the light of the moon, one day at a time. What’s your favorite affirmation? What is your favorite way to show up for yourself? Email me and let me know.
JUICE RECIPE :: Liquid Sunshine (a new favorite because I’ve never been a fan of beets but they’re so good for you I’ve found a way to enjoy their superpowers – on the weekly).
* ideally all organic ingredients.
- 3 small to medium golden beets -or- 2 large ones. (I like to save the leaves and stems for our morning shakes by chopping them up and freezing them). Note: can be subbed for red beets and then called Vampire’s Delight.
- One whole pineapple cubed (with the core but no skin).
- One or two limes without the skin.
- One whole cucumber chopped with the skin.
- 2-3 inches of fresh ginger chopped.
I like to also add a cup or two of water. Juice and enjoy!
RECENT FEATURE :: A Brides Editor’s Spring Wedding on Long Island
My hope for this blog post is that it continues to inspire you to dream, to grow and to create in fabulously authentic ways. May we all deepen our sense of self-love, creativity, cultivate change, fulfillment and joy in our lives and take time to acknowledge all that we have to be thankful for!
As always, I truly appreciate your friendship, your continued encouragement and generous referrals. If you have any suggestions, questions or thoughts please call or email firstname.lastname@example.org. I look forward to hearing from you!